This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Erythema migrans recurred in a patient 6 months after a course of treatment with minocycline for Lyme disease. Polymerase chain reaction on heparinized peripheral blood at that time demonstrated the presence of Borrelia burgdorferi-specific DNA. The patient was seronegative by Lyme enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay but showed suspicious bands on Western blot. Findings of a Warthin-Starry stain of a skin biopsy specimen of the eruption revealed a Borrelia-compatible structure. Reinfection was not believed to have occurred. Further treatment with minocycline led to resolution of the erythema migrans.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
AAD Member Login
AAD Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Use your society credentials to access all journal content and features
- Lyme disease, 1988: immunologic manifestations and possible immunogenetic mechanisms.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 1989; 18: 151-167
- A specific and sensitive assay for the Lyme disease spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi using the polymerase chain reaction.J Infect Dis. 1989; 160: 1018-1029
- Seronegative Lyme disease.N Engl J Med. 1988; 319: 1441-1446
- Polymerase chain reaction confirmation of Borrelia burgdorferi in benign lymphocytic infiltrate of dermis.J Am Acad Dermatol. 1992; 26: 267-268
- Survival of Borrelia burgdorferi in antibiotically treated patients with Lyme borreliosis.Infection. 1989; 17: 355-359
- Intracellular localization of Borrelia burgdorferi within human endothelial cells.Infect Immun. 1991; 59: 671-678
- The challenge of intracellular pathogens [Editorial].N Engl J Med. 1992; 326: 761-762
- Culture-confirmed treatment failure of cefotaxime and minocycline in a case of Lyme meningoencephalomyelitis in the United States [Abstract 63].in: V International Conference on Lyme Borreliosis, May 31-June 21992 (Arlington, Virginia)
- Lyme borreliosis studied with the Rocky Mountain Laboratory (RML) antigen capture assay in urine [Abstract 104].in: V International Conference on Lyme Borreliosis, May 31-June 21992 (Arlington, Virginia)
© 1993 American Academy of Dermatology, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc.