Abbreviations used:BIL (biopsied incidental lesion), IPDE (in-person dermatologic examination), PC (primary care), PCP (primary care provider), VA (Department of Veterans Affairs)
- Cancer facts and figures.American Cancer Society, Atlanta (GA)2014: 1-70
- Screening for skin cancer: an update of the evidence for the US Preventive Services Task Force.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 194-198
- Primary care physicians as gatekeepers in managed care: primary care physicians' and dermatologists' skills at secondary prevention of skin cancer.Arch Dermatol. 1996; 132: 1030-1038
- Dermatology in primary care: prevalence and patient disposition.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2001; 45: 250-255
- Diagnosing and managing cutaneous pigmented lesions: primary care physicians versus dermatologists.J Gen Intern Med. 2006; 21: 678-682
- Outcomes of referral to dermatology for suspicious lesions: implications for teledermatology.Arch Dermatol. 2011; 147: 556-560
- The importance of a full clinical examination: assessment of index lesions referred to a skin cancer clinic without a total body skin examination would miss one in three melanomas.Acta Derm Venereol. 2013; 93: 689-692
- Overcoming obstacles to skin cancer examinations and prevention counseling for high-risk patients: results of a national survey of primary care physicians.J Am Board Fam Pract. 2004; 17: 416-423
- The primary care provider and the care of skin disease: the patient's perspective.Arch Dermatol. 2001; 137: 25-29
- Lack of correlation between internists' ability in dermatology and their patterns of treating patients with skin disease.Arch Dermatol. 1996; 132: 1043-1046
- Diagnoses of skin disease: dermatologists vs nondermatologists.J Dermatol Surg Oncol. 1985; 11: 476-479
- The gatekeeper model is inefficient for the delivery of dermatologic services.J Am Acad Dermatol. 1999; 40: 426-432
Cancer Research UK (2013). Cancer statistics report: Skin cancer. London: Cancer Research UK.
- Teledermatology for diagnosis and management of skin conditions: a systematic review.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011; 64: 759-772
- Successful triage of patients referred to a skin lesion clinic using teledermoscopy (IMAGE IT trial).Br J Dermatol. 2010; 162: 803-811
- Accuracy and reliability of store-and-forward teledermatology: preliminary results from the St George teledermatology project.Australas J Dermatol. 2001; 42: 247-251
- Teledermatology research review.Int J Dermatol. 2006; 45: 220-229
- Accuracy of teledermatology for nonpigmented neoplasms.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2009; 60: 579-588
- Accuracy of teledermatology for pigmented neoplasms.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2009; 61: 753-765
- The epidemiology of skin cancer.Br J Dermatol. 2002; 146: 1-6
This material is based upon work, supported in part, by the Minneapolis Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center . There are no other sources of funding for this work. The contents of this publication do not represent the views of the Department of Veterans Affairs or the US Government.
Conflicts of interest: None declared.
Reprints not available from the authors.