This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
We describe pancreatic subcutaneous fat necrosis in a man with alcoholism and pancreatitis. The initial specimen, from a 2-day-old lesion, showed a septal inflammatory infiltrate in the subcutis. A second specimen, from a 5-day-old lesion, showed the lobular pattern of enzymatic fat necrosis diagnostic for pancreatic panniculitis. We suggest that the histologic appearance of subcutaneous pancreatic fat necrosis evolves from an early septal reaction to a fully developed lobular panniculitis.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
AAD Member Login
AAD Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Use your society credentials to access all journal content and features
- Artzlicher gesellschaften.Wochenschr. Klin. 1889; 26: 1115-1118
- Subcutaneous fat necrosis associated with pancreatic islet cell carcinoma.Am J Dermatopathol. 1991; 13: 52-56
- Syndrome of pancreatic disease, subcutaneous fat necrosis and polyserositis.Am J Med. 1975; 58: 417-423
- Subcutaneous fat necrosis in pancreatitis.J Cutan Pathol. 1979; 6: 501-506
- Subcutaneous fat necrosis in pancreatic disease.Br J Surg. 1990; 77: 532-533
- Pancreatic acinar cell carcinoma with subcutaneous and intraosseous fat necrosis.Radiology. 1986; 1: 67-68
- Arthritis and skin lesions resembling erythema nodosum in pancreatic disease.Ann Intern Med. 1968; 68: 75-87
- Roentgenologic and clinical features of intramedullary fat necrosis in bones in acute and chronic pancreatitis.Am J Med. 1964; 36: 96-105
- Drug induced pancreatitis presenting as subcutaneous fat necrosis [Letter].J Am Acad Dermatol. 1985; 13: 305-307
- Panniculitis associated with a pancreas divisum.J Am Acad Dermatol. 1986; 14: 331-334
- Subcutaneous fat necrosis associated with pancreatitis: histochemical and electron microscopic findings.Am J Gastroenterol. 1990; 85: 1025-1028
- Disorders of the panniculus adiposus.Hum Pathol. 1973; 4: 219-229
- Panniculitis.Dermatol Clin. 1992; 10: 37-57
- Septal granulomatous panniculitis: comparison of the pathology of erythema nodosum migrans (migratory panniculitis) and chronic erythema nodosum.J Am Acad Dermatol. 1990; 22: 477-483
- Acute panniculitis.Arch Dermatol. 1977; 113: 909-917
- Eosinophilic panniculitis.J Cutan Pathol. 1986; 13: 1-12
- A subtle clue to the histopathologic diagnosis of early α1-antitrypsin deficiency panniculitis.J Am Acad Dermatol. 1994; 31: 241-245
© 1996 American Academy of Dermatology, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc.