Abbreviations used:ANOVA (analysis of variance), ICC (intraclass correlation coefficient), QOL (quality of life)
- The prevalence and clinical characteristics of pruritus among patients with extensive psoriasis.Br J Dermatol. 2000; 143: 969-973
- Itching and the atopic skin.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1999; 104: S109-S113
- Clinical characteristics of pruritus in chronic idiopathic urticaria.Br J Dermatol. 2002; 147: 32-36
- Pruritus in skin diseases.in: Bernhard J.D. Itch: mechanisms and management of pruritus. McGraw-Hill, New York1994: 37-68
- Pruritus in systemic disease: mechanisms and management.Dermatol Clin. 2002; 20: 459-472
- Prevalence and characterization of uremic pruritus in patients undergoing hemodialysis: uremic pruritus is still a major problem for patients with end-stage renal disease.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2003; 49: 842-846
- Primary biliary cirrhosis: presentation and diagnosis.Clin Liver Dis. 2003; 7: 741-758
- Pruritus as a presenting sign of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome.J Am Acad Dermatol. 1987; 16: 1115-1117
- Pruritus of unknown origin: a retrospective study.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2001; 45: 892-896
- Skin manifestations of internal malignancy.Clin Geriatr Med. 2002; 18: 1-19
- Prevalence of skin diseases in Ibadan, Nigeria.Int J Dermatol. 2004; 43: 31-36
- French people and skin disease: results of a survey using a representative sample.Arch Dermatol. 2003; 139: 1614-1619
- Xerosis and pruritus in the elderly: recognition and management.Dermatol Ther. 2003; 16: 254-259
- Improved discriminative and evaluative capability of a refined version of Skindex, a quality-of-life instrument for patients with skin diseases.Arch Dermatol. 1997; 133: 1433-1440
- Measurement properties of Skindex-16: a brief quality-of-life measure for patients with skin diseases.J Cutan Med Surg. 2001; 5: 105-110
- Scalpdex: a quality of life instrument for scalp dermatitis.Arch Dermatol. 2002; 138: 803-807
- A pilot quality-of-life instrument for acne rosacea.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2007; 57: 213-221
- Multivariate analysis: methods and applications.John Wiley and Sons, New York1984
- Spilker B. Quality of life and pharmacoeconomics in clinical trials. 2nd ed. Lippincott-Raven, New York1996: 43
US Food and Drug Administration. Patient-reported outcome measures: use in medical product development to support labeling claims. February 2006. Available from: URL: http://www.fda.gov/CDER/GUIDANCE/5460dft.pdf. Accessed December 4, 2006.
Supported in part from an American Skin Association (ASA) Health Services Research Grant, the ASA David Martin Carter Research Scholar Award, and an Emory Skin Disease Research Center Pilot and Feasibility grant (No. P30AR42687) from the National Institute on Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Disease (NIAMS), National Institutes of Health (NIH). Dr Chen was supported in part by a Mentored Patient Oriented Career Development Award (No. K23AR02185-01A1) from NIAMS, NIH.
Conflicts of interest: None declared.
Presented as abstracts at the 66th Annual Meeting of the Society for Investigative Dermatology, Miami, Florida, May 2005, and the 63rd Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, February 2005.