Abbreviations used:AE (adverse event), BCC (basal cell carcinoma), BIW (twice weekly), CHF (congestive heart failure), CI (confidence interval), MI (myocardial infarction), MTX (methotrexate), NMSC (nonmelanoma skin cancer), QW (once weekly), SCC (squamous cell carcinoma), SEER (Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results), SIR (standardized incidence ratio), TNF (tumor necrosis factor)
- Recent insights into the immunopathogenesis of psoriasis provide new therapeutic opportunities.J Clin Invest. 2004; 113: 1664-1675
- National Psoriasis Foundation clinical consensus on disease severity.Arch Dermatol. 2007; 143: 239-242
- Etanercept for the treatment of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.Dermatol Ther. 2004; 17: 401-408
- Fulfilling an unmet need in psoriasis: do biologicals hold the key to improved tolerability?.Drug Saf. 2006; 29: 49-66
- The risk of lymphoma in patients with psoriasis.J Invest Dermatol. 2006; 126: 2194-2201
- Lymphoma rates are low but increased in patients with psoriasis: results from a population-based cohort study in the United Kingdom.Arch Dermatol. 2003; 139: 1425-1429
- Psoriasis, its treatment, and cancer in a cohort of Finnish patients.J Invest Dermatol. 2000; 114: 587-590
- The risk of malignancy associated with psoriasis.Arch Dermatol. 2001; 137: 778-783
- Etanercept as monotherapy in patients with psoriasis.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 2014-2022
- A global phase III randomized controlled trial of etanercept in psoriasis: safety, efficacy, and effect of dose reduction.Br J Dermatol. 2005; 152: 1304-1312
- Etanercept and clinical outcomes, fatigue, and depression in psoriasis: double-blind placebo-controlled randomized phase III trial.Lancet. 2006; 367: 29-35
- Patient-reported outcomes of psoriasis improvement with etanercept therapy: results of a randomized phase III trial.Br J Dermatol. 2005; 153: 1192-1199
- Etanercept improves the health-related quality of life of patients with psoriasis: results of a phase III randomized clinical trial.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2005; 53: 887-889
- Clinical response in psoriasis patients discontinued from and then reinitiated on etanercept therapy.J Dermatolog Treat. 2006; 17: 9-17
- A randomized trial of etanercept as monotherapy for psoriasis.Arch Dermatol. 2003; 139: 1627-1632
- Patient-reported outcomes and health-care resource utilization in patients with psoriasis treated with etanercept: continuous versus interrupted treatment.Value Health. 2008; 11: 400-407
- Once weekly administration of etanercept 50 mg is efficacious and well tolerated in patients with moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis: a randomized controlled trial with open-label extension.Br J Dermatol. 2008; 159: 1177-1185
- Patients with psoriasis respond to continuous open-label etanercept treatment after initial incomplete response in a randomized, placebo-controlled trial.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2006; 54: S112-S119
- Long-term safety of etanercept in elderly subjects with rheumatic diseases.Ann Rheum Dis. 2006; 65: 379-384
- Etanercept treatment in adults with established rheumatoid arthritis: 7 years of clinical experience.J Rheumatol. 2006; 33: 854-861
- A long-term, open-label trial of the safety and efficacy of etanercept (Enbrel) in patients with rheumatoid arthritis not treated with other disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs.Ann Rheum Dis. 2006; 65: 1578-1584
- The safety of anti-tumor necrosis factor treatments in rheumatoid arthritis: meta and exposure-adjusted pooled analyses of serious adverse events.Ann Rheum Dis. 2009; 68: 1136-1145
- Full Prescribing Information.Immunex Corp, marketed by Amgen and Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, Thousand Oaks (CA)2010
- Long-term safety and efficacy of 50 mg of etanercept twice weekly in patients with psoriasis.Arch Dermatol. 2007; 143: 719-726
- A randomized, open-label trial of continuous versus interrupted etanercept therapy in the treatment of psoriasis.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2007; 56: 598-603
- Long-term safety and efficacy of etanercept in patients with psoriasis: an open-label study.J Drugs Dermatol. 2010; 9: 928-937
Amgen Inc. Study of etanercept in the treatment of psoriasis in adult subjects [ClinicalTrials.gov identifier NCT00121615]. Available from: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00121615?term=etanercept+and+psoriasis&rank=39. Accessed April 25, 2011.
National Cancer Institute. Common toxicity criteria, version 2.0. Available from: http://ctep.cancer.gov/protocolDevelopment/electronic_applications/docs/ctcv20_4-30-992.pdf. Accessed April 12, 2011.
Medical Dictionary for Regulatory Activities (MedDRA) Version 7.0. Maintenance and support services organization. Available from: http://www.meddramsso.com/. Accessed April 25, 2011.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). 1993 Revised classification system for HIV infection and expanded surveillance case definition for AIDS among adolescents and adults, United States. Available from: http://wonder.cdc.gov/wonder/help/aids/mmwr-12-18-1992.html. Accessed April 25, 2011.
National Cancer Institute. Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) program SEER∗Stat database: incidence–SEER 13 Regs public-use, November 2005 submission (1992-2003), National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch, released April 2006, based on the November 2005 submission. Available from: http://www.seer.cancer.gov/. Accessed April 25, 2011.
- Trends in the population-based incidence of squamous cell carcinoma of the skin first diagnosed between 1984 and 1992.Arch Dermatol. 1997; 133: 735-740
- Trends in the incidence of nonmelanoma skin cancers in southeastern Arizona, 1985-1996.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2001; 45: 528-536
- Etanercept monotherapy in patients with psoriasis: a summary of safety, based on an integrated multistudy database.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2006; 54: S92-S100
- Clinical trial safety and mortality analyses in patients receiving etanercept across approved indications.J Drugs Dermatol. 2011; 10: 289-300
- Infections and biological therapy in rheumatoid arthritis.Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2003; 17: 345-363
- TNF-blocking agents and tuberculosis: new drugs illuminate an old topic.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2005; 44: 714-720
- Risk of myocardial infarction in patients with psoriasis.JAMA. 2006; 296: 1735-1741
- The association between psoriasis, diabetes mellitus, and atherosclerosis in Israel: a case-control study.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2007; 56: 629-634
- Cancer risk in a population-based cohort of patients hospitalized for psoriasis in Sweden.J Invest Dermatol. 2001; 117: 1531-1537
- PUVA and cancer risk: the Swedish follow-up study.Br J Dermatol. 1999; 141: 108-112
- High levels of ultraviolet B exposure increase the risk of non-melanoma skin cancer in psoralen and ultraviolet A-treated patients.J Invest Dermatol. 2005; 124: 505-513
- Review of cyclosporine immunosuppressive safety data in dermatology patients after two decades of use.J Drugs Dermatol. 2005; 4: 189-194
- Incidence of melanoma and other malignancies among rheumatoid arthritis patients treated with methotrexate.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 59: 794-799
- Incidence estimate of nonmelanoma skin cancer in the United States, 2006.Arch Dermatol. 2010; 146: 283-287
- Biologic treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and the risk of malignancy: analyses from a large US observational study.Arthritis Rheum. 2007; 56: 2886-2895
- Demyelination occurring during anti-tumor necrosis factor alpha therapy for inflammatory arthritides.Arthritis Rheum. 2001; 44: 2862-2869
- TNF-alpha inhibitors and congestive heart failure.Skinmed. 2005; 4: 363-368
Supported by Immunex Corp , a wholly owned subsidiary of Amgen Inc , and by Wyeth , which was acquired by Pfizer Inc in October 2009.
Disclosure: Dr Pariser has been a consultant and/or advisory board member for Abbott, Galderma, and Stiefel, and he has been investigator for Abbott, Amgen, Basilea, Dow, Eli Lilly, Galderma, Johnson and Johnson Consumer Products, Leo, MELA Sciences, Novo Nordisk, Peplin, Pfizer, Photocure, Shionogi, and Stiefel. Dr Leonardi has been a consultant for Abbott, Amgen, Centocor, and Pfizer; been an investigator for Abbott, Amgen, Celgene, Centocor, Genentech, Eli Lilly, Genzyme, Pfizer, Incyte, Schering-Plough, Novartis, Novo Nordisk, Vascular Biogenics, and Wyeth (Wyeth was acquired by Pfizer in October 2009); and served as a speaker for Abbott, Amgen, and Centocor. Dr Gordon has been a consultant and/or advisory board member for Abbott, Amgen, Celgene, Centocor, Lilly, Merck, and Medicis, and he has been an investigator for Amgen, Abbott, Centocor, and Celgene. Dr Gottlieb is a consultant and/or advisory board member for Abbott, Actelion, Alnylam, Amgen, Astellas, Beiersdorf, BIND Biosciences, Bristol Myers Squibb, Canfite, Centocor, Celgene, Cytokine Pharmasciences, Dermipsor, Immune Control, Incyte, Magen Biosciences, Merck, Novo Nordisk, Ono, Pfizer, PureTech, Schering, TEVA, and UCB, and has been a recipient of research/educational grants paid to Tufts Medical Center by Abbott, Amgen, Celgene, Centocor, Immune Control, Novartis, Novo Nordisk, Pfizer, and UCB. Dr Tyring has been an investigator and speaker for Amgen. Dr Papp has been a consultant, advisory board member, and investigator for Abbott, Amgen, Celgene, Centocor, Janssen Ortho, MedImmune, Pfizer, Schering-Plough, and Wyeth (Wyeth was acquired by Pfizer in October 2009), and has served as a speaker for Amgen, Abbott, Celgene, Janssen Ortho, Pfizer, Schering-Plough, and Wyeth (Wyeth was acquired by Pfizer in October 2009). Drs Li and Baumgartner are employees and stock holders of Amgen.