Abbreviations used:AS (ankylosing spondylitis), axSpA (axial spondyloarthritis), DMARD (disease-modifying antirheumatic drug), HLA (human leukocyte antigen), IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), IL (interleukin), NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug), PASI75 (75% improvement in the Psoriasis Area and Severity Index), PsA (psoriatic arthritis), QOL (quality of life), SpA (spondyloarthritis/spondyloarthropathies), TNF (tumor necrosis factor), TNFi (tumor necrosis factor inhibitor)
- •Psoriasis is an inflammatory immune disease associated with psoriatic arthritis, a disease that can involve peripheral and axial joints and cause permanent joint damage and loss of function if untreated.
- •Dermatologists play an important role in the early diagnosis and treatment of psoriatic arthritis by proactively screening patients with psoriasis.
Clinical features of axial PsA
- van den Berg R.
- de Hooge M.
- Rudwaleit M.
- et al.
Impact on QOL
Diagnosis of axial disease in PsA
Juvenile axial PsA
- van der Heijde D.
- Cheng-Chung Wei J.
- Dougados M.
- et al.
- Deodhar A.
- Poddubnyy D.
- Pacheco-Tena C.
- et al.
- Prevalence of psoriasis among adults in the U.S.: 2003-2006 and 2009-2010 National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 47: 37-45
- The impact of psoriasis on quality of life: results of a 1998 National Psoriasis Foundation patient-membership survey.Arch Dermatol. 2001; 137: 280-284
- Psoriasis prevalence among adults in the United States.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2014; 70: 512-516
- Joint AAD-NPF guidelines of care for the management and treatment of psoriasis with awareness and attention to comorbidities.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2019; 80: 1073-1113
- Prevalence of psoriatic arthritis in patients with psoriasis: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational and clinical studies.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2019; 80: 251-265
- Prevalence of rheumatologist-diagnosed psoriatic arthritis in patients with psoriasis in European/North American dermatology clinics.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2013; 69: 729-735
- Classification criteria for psoriatic arthritis: development of new criteria from a large international study.Arthritis Rheum. 2006; 54: 2665-2673
- Axial spondyloarthritis.Lancet. 2017; 390: 73-84
- Psoriatic arthritis: state of the art review.Clin Med (Lond). 2017; 17: 65-70
- Group for Research and Assessment of Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis 2015 treatment recommendations for psoriatic arthritis.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2016; 68: 1060-1071
- Guidelines of care for the management of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis: section 2. Psoriatic arthritis: overview and guidelines of care for treatment with an emphasis on the biologics.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2008; 58: 851-864
- Recognizing and managing comorbidities in psoriatic arthritis.Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2015; 27: 118-126
- A prospective, clinical and radiological study of early psoriatic arthritis: an early synovitis clinic experience.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2003; 42: 1460-1468
- A longitudinal study of the effect of disease activity and clinical damage on physical function over the course of psoriatic arthritis: does the effect change over time?.Arthritis Rheum. 2007; 56: 840-849
- Secukinumab improves active psoriatic arthritis symptoms and inhibits radiographic progression: primary results from the randomised, double-blind, phase III FUTURE 5 study.Ann Rheum Dis. 2018; 77: 890-897
- Axial disease in psoriatic arthritis.Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2007; 9: 455-460
- The involvement of the spine in psoriatic arthritis.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2015; 33: S31-S35
- Axial psoriatic arthritis: update on a longterm prospective study.J Rheumatol. 2009; 36: 2744-2750
- Delay between the onset of psoriasis and arthritis in PsA patients from the PsART international cohort [abstract].Arthritis Rheumatol. 2019; 71: 2854
- The risk of psoriatic arthritis remains constant following initial diagnosis of psoriasis among patients seen in European dermatology clinics.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2010; 24: 548-554
- High prevalence of psoriatic arthritis in patients with severe psoriasis with suboptimal performance of screening questionnaires.Ann Rheum Dis. 2013; 72: 736-740
- Axial disease in psoriatic arthritis study: defining the clinical and radiographic phenotype of psoriatic spondyloarthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2017; 76: 701-707
- Influence of axial involvement on clinical characteristics of psoriatic arthritis: analysis from the Corrona Psoriatic Arthritis/Spondyloarthritis Registry.J Rheumatol. 2018; 45: 1389-1396
- Psoriatic arthritis.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 957-970
- Prevalence of psoriasis phenotypes among men and women in the USA.Clin Exp Dermatol. 2016; 41: 486-489
- Differential features between primary ankylosing spondylitis and spondylitis associated with psoriasis and inflammatory bowel disease.J Rheumatol. 2011; 38: 1656-1660
- Inflammatory back pain in ankylosing spondylitis: a reassessment of the clinical history for application as classification and diagnostic criteria.Arthritis Rheum. 2006; 54: 569-578
- New criteria for inflammatory back pain in patients with chronic back pain: a real patient exercise by experts from the Assessment of SpondyloArthritis International Society (ASAS).Ann Rheum Dis. 2009; 68: 784-788
- Clinically asymptomatic axial disease in psoriatic spondyloarthropathy. A retrospective study.Clin Rheumatol. 2002; 21: 10-13
- Psoriatic arthritis: it's as easy as “PSA”.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2015; 72: 905-906
- Clinical, radiological, and functional assessment in psoriatic arthritis: is it different from other inflammatory joint diseases?.Ann Rheum Dis. 2006; 65: iii22-iii24
- Clinical and genetic associations of radiographic sacroiliitis and its different patterns in psoriatic arthritis.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2017; 35: 270-276
- Clinical assessment of sacroiliitis and HLA-B27 are poor predictors of sacroiliitis diagnosed by magnetic resonance imaging in psoriatic arthritis.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2004; 43: 85-88
- ASAS modification of the Berlin algorithm for diagnosing axial spondyloarthritis: results from the Spondyloarthritis Caught Early (SPACE)-cohort and from the Assessment of Spondyloarthritis international Society (ASAS)-cohort.Ann Rheum Dis. 2013; 72: 1646-1653
- Characterisation of uveitis in patients with psoriatic arthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2000; 59: 67-70
- Risk factors for axial inflammatory arthritis in patients with psoriatic arthritis.J Rheumatol. 2010; 37: 809-815
- Inflammatory bowel diseases and spondyloarthropathies: from pathogenesis to treatment.World J Gastroenterol. 2019; 25: 2162-2176
- Patients with inflammatory bowel disease have increased risk of autoimmune and inflammatory diseases.World J Gastroenterol. 2017; 23: 6137-6146
- The incidence and risk factors for psoriatic arthritis in patients with psoriasis: a prospective cohort study.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2016; 68: 915-923
- HL-A 27 and arthropathies associated with ulcerative colitis and psoriasis.Lancet. 1974; 1: 956-958
- Axial disease in psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis: a critical comparison.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2018; 14: 363-371
- HLA-B27 and psoriatic disease: a modern view of an old relationship.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2016; 55: 221-229
- Psoriatic spondyloarthropathy: a comparative study between HLA-B27 positive and HLA-B27 negative disease.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2002; 31: 413-418
- Evaluation of an existing screening tool for psoriatic arthritis in people with psoriasis and the development of a new instrument: the Psoriasis Epidemiology Screening Tool (PEST) questionnaire.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2009; 27: 469-474
- Development and initial validation of a screening questionnaire for psoriatic arthritis: the Toronto Psoriatic Arthritis Screen (ToPAS).Ann Rheum Dis. 2009; 68: 497-501
- Validity, reliability, and sensitivity-to-change properties of the psoriatic arthritis screening and evaluation questionnaire.Arch Dermatol Res. 2009; 301: 573-579
- The early psoriatic arthritis screening questionnaire: a simple and fast method for the identification of arthritis in patients with psoriasis.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2012; 51: 2058-2063
- Psoriatic arthritis screening: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2019; 58: 692-707
- Performance of screening tools for psoriatic arthritis: a cross-sectional study in primary care.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017; 56: 597-602
- The juvenile psoriatic arthritis cohort in the CARRA registry: clinical characteristics, classification, and outcomes.J Rheumatol. 2017; 44: 342-351
- Clinical features of children with enthesitis-related juvenile idiopathic arthritis/juvenile spondyloarthritis followed in a French tertiary care pediatric rheumatology centre.Pediatr Rheumatol Online J. 2018; 16: 21
- Toward new classification criteria for juvenile idiopathic arthritis: first steps, Pediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organization international consensus.J Rheumatol. 2019; 46: 190-197
- The frequency of uveitis in patients with juvenile inflammatory rheumatic diseases.Joint Bone Spine. 2019; 86: 685-690
- Interleukin-17 targeted therapies in axial spondyloarthritis.Immunotherapy. 2015; 7: 1125-1128
- The role of IL-17A in axial spondyloarthritis and psoriatic arthritis: recent advances and controversies.Ann Rheum Dis. 2019; 78: 1167-1178
- Proinflammatory Th17 cells are expanded and induced by dendritic cells in spondylarthritis-prone HLA-B27-transgenic rats.Arthritis Rheum. 2012; 64: 110-120
- European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) recommendations for the management of psoriatic arthritis with pharmacological therapies: 2015 update.Ann Rheum Dis. 2016; 75: 499-510
- 2016 update of the ASAS-EULAR management recommendations for axial spondyloarthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2017; 76: 978-991
- American College of Rheumatology/Spondylitis Association of America/Spondyloarthritis Research and Treatment Network 2015 recommendations for the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis and nonradiographic axial spondyloarthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 2016; 68: 282-298
- Efficacy of TNFalpha blockers in patients with ankylosing spondylitis and non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis: a meta-analysis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2015; 74: 1241-1248
- Joint AAD-NPF guidelines of care for the management and treatment of psoriasis with biologics.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2019; 80: 1029-1072
- Etanercept treatment of psoriatic arthritis: safety, efficacy, and effect on disease progression.Arthritis Rheum. 2004; 50: 2264-2272
- Adalimumab for the treatment of patients with moderately to severely active psoriatic arthritis: results of a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial.Arthritis Rheum. 2005; 52: 3279-3289
- Effect of certolizumab pegol on signs and symptoms in patients with psoriatic arthritis: 24-week results of a phase 3 double-blind randomised placebo-controlled study (RAPID-PsA).Ann Rheum Dis. 2014; 73: 48-55
- Infliximab improves signs and symptoms of psoriatic arthritis: results of the IMPACT 2 trial.Ann Rheum Dis. 2005; 64: 1150-1157
- Safety and efficacy of intravenous golimumab in patients with active psoriatic arthritis: results through week twenty-four of the GO-VIBRANT study.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2017; 69: 2151-2161
- Etanercept as monotherapy in patients with psoriasis.New Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 2014-2022
- Infliximab induction therapy for patients with severe plaque-type psoriasis: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2004; 51: 534-542
- Adalimumab therapy for moderate to severe psoriasis: a randomized, controlled phase III trial.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2008; 58: 106-115
- Certolizumab pegol for the treatment of chronic plaque psoriasis: results through 48 weeks from 2 phase 3, multicenter, randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled studies (CIMPASI-1 and CIMPASI-2).J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018; 79: 302-314
- The current standard of care and the unmet needs for axial spondyloarthritis.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2018; 57: vi10-vi17
- Effectiveness of switching between TNF inhibitors in ankylosing spondylitis: data from the NOR-DMARD register.Ann Rheum Dis. 2011; 70: 157-163
- Secukinumab, an interleukin-17A inhibitor, in ankylosing spondylitis.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2534-2548
- Secukinumab shows sustained efficacy and low structural progression in ankylosing spondylitis: 4-year results from the MEASURE 1 study.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2019; 58: 859-868
- Secukinumab improves axial manifestations in patients with psoriatic arthritis and inadequate response to NSAIDs: primary analysis of the MAXIMISE trial.Ann Rheum Dis. 2019; 78: 195-196
- Incidence rates of inflammatory bowel disease in patients with psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis treated with secukinumab: a retrospective analysis of pooled data from 21 clinical trials.Ann Rheum Dis. 2019; 78: 473-479
- Ixekizumab, an interleukin-17A antagonist in the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis or radiographic axial spondyloarthritis in patients previously untreated with biological disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (COAST-V): 16 week results of a phase 3 randomised, double-blind, active-controlled and placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2018; 392: 2441-2451
- Efficacy and safety of ixekizumab in the treatment of radiographic axial spondyloarthritis: sixteen-week results from a phase III randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial in patients with prior inadequate response to or intolerance of tumor necrosis factor inhibitors.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2018; 71: 599-611
- Ustekinumab for the treatment of patients with active ankylosing spondylitis: results of a 28-week, prospective, open-label, proof-of-concept study (TOPAS).Ann Rheum Dis. 2014; 73: 817-823
- Three multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studies evaluating the efficacy and safety of ustekinumab in axial spondyloarthritis.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2019; 71: 258-270
- Risankizumab, an IL-23 inhibitor, for ankylosing spondylitis: results of a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, proof-of-concept, dose-finding phase 2 study.Ann Rheum Dis. 2018; 77: 1295-1302
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding sources: Supported by Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation , East Hanover, NJ.
Disclosure: Dr Gottlieb has served as a consultant and/or as an advisory board member for Avotres Therapeutics, Beiersdorf, Boehringer Ingelheim, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Celgene, Incyte, Leo Pharmaceutical Industries, Lilly, Novartis, Sun Pharma, UCB, and XBiotech; has received research or educational grants from Boehringer Ingelheim , Incyte , Janssen , Novartis , UCB , and XBiotech ; and holds stock options with XBiotech. Dr Merola has served as a consultant for AbbVie, Biogen Idec, Celgene, GlaxoSmithKline, Janssen, Lilly, Merck, Novartis, Pfizer, Samumed, Sanofi Regeneron, Science 37, and UCB; as an investigator for Biogen Idec, Incyte, Novartis, Pfizer, and Sanofi Regeneron; and as a speaker for AbbVie.
IRB approval status: Not applicable.
Reprints not available from the authors.
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy