Abbreviations used:ACD (all-cause death), AJCC8 (American Joint Committee on Cancer Staging Manual, eighth edition), BWH (Brigham and Women's Hospital), cSCC (cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma), DSD (disease-specific death), hrSCC (high-risk squamous cell carcinoma), LR (local recurrence), MD (metastatic disease), MMS (Mohs micrographic surgery), PNI (perineural invasion)
- Analysis of risk factors determining prognosis of cutaneous squamous-cell carcinoma: a prospective study.Lancet Oncol. 2008; 9: 713-720
- Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma: estimated incidence of disease, nodal metastasis, and deaths from disease in the United States, 2012.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2013; 68: 957-966
- Factors predictive of recurrence and death from cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma: a 10-year, single-institution cohort study.JAMA Dermatol. 2013; 149: 541-547
- A new American Joint Committee on Cancer staging system for cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma: creation and rationale for inclusion of tumor (T) characteristics.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011; 64: 1051-1059
- Overview of the 8th edition TNM classification for head and neck cancer.Curr Treat Options Oncol. 2017; 18: 40
- Clinical outcomes in high-risk squamous cell carcinoma patients treated with Mohs micrographic surgery alone.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2019; 80: 633-638
- Mohs surgery is effective for high-risk cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma.Dermatol Surg. 2010; 36: 1544-1553
- Long-term clinical outcomes of patients with invasive cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma treated with Mohs surgery: a five-year, multicenter, prospective cohort study.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020; 82: 139-148
- Uncertainty in the perioperative management of high-risk cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma among Mohs surgeons.Arch Dermatol. 2010; 146: 1225-1231
- What is the role of adjuvant radiotherapy in the treatment of cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma with perineural invasion?.Cancer. 2007; 109: 1053-1059
- Outcomes of adjuvant radiotherapy following negative surgical margins for cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma.Dermatol Surg. 2019; 45: 1111-1116
- Use of Adjuvant radiotherapy in the treatment of high-risk cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma with perineural invasion.JAMA Dermatol. 2020; 156: 918-921
- R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing.(Accessed March 23, 2021. Available at:)http://www.R-project.orgDate: 2013
- Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma: a review of high-risk and metastatic disease.Am J Clin Dermatol. 2016; 17: 491-508
- Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma: incidence, risk factors, diagnosis, and staging.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018; 78: 237-247
- Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma: management of advanced and high-stage tumors.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018; 78: 249-261
- Clinical and pathologic factors predictive of positive radiologic findings in high-risk cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma.Dermatol Surg. 2015; 41: 1405-1410
- The National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) guidelines of care for nonmelanoma skin cancers.Dermatol Surg. 2020; 26: 289-292
Funding sources: None.
IRB approval status: Reviewed and approved by the University of Texas Southwestern IRB (approval no. STU-2019-1341).
Reprints not available from the authors.