This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Pregnancy produces many skin changes, some of which are specifically related to pregnancy (dermatoses of pregnancy) and others that are more common and called physiologic. These physiologic skin changes usually do not impair the health of the mother or the fetus; nevertheless, some can be cosmetically significant and of importance to the dermatologist. (J Am ACRD DERMATOL 10:929–940, 1984.)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
AAD Member Login
AAD Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Use your society credentials to access all journal content and features
- Dermatoses of pregnancy.J AM ACRD DERMATOL. 1982; 6: 977-998
- Dermatoses of pregnancy.J Assoc Mil Dermato. 1981; 17: 20-27
- Skin changes and diseases associated with pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol. 1978; 52: 233-242
- The skin changes of pregnancy.Cutis. 1974; 13: 82-86
- Skin disorders in pregnancy.Practitioner. 1971; 206: 773-780
- McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York1979: 1363 Dermatology in general medicine.
- Clinical dermatology. 2. Harper & Row, Publishers Inc., New York1975: 1-6 (unit 12–25)
- McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York1979: 144 Dermatology in general medicine.
- Lange Medical Publications, Los Altos1982: 581 Current obstetric and gynecologic diagnosis and treatment.
- Determination of melanocytestimulating hormone in urine and blood.J Clin Endocrinol. 1954; 14: 1491-1510
- Melanocyte stimulating substances in the urine of pregnant women.Acta Endocr (Kbh). 1961; 38: 1-11
- Melanocyte-stimulating hormone, A clinical and laboratory study.Ann NY Acad Sci. 1963; 100: 640-657
- Plasma betamelanocyte-stimulating hormone levels in pregnancy.J Obstet Gynaecol Br Commonw. 1974; 81: 875-877
- Immunoreactive alpha-MSH in human plasma in pregnancy.Nature. 1978; 273: 163-164
- The effect of large doses of estrogen and progesterone on melanin pigmentation.J Invest Dermatol. 1960; 35: 73-82
- Lange Medical Publications, Los Altos1982: 841 Current obstetric and gynecologic diagnosis and treatment.
- Melasma, A clinical, light microscopic, ultrastructural, and immunofluorescence study.J AM ACRD DERMATOL. 1981; 4: 698-710
- Melanogenesis in human skin following exposure to long-wave ultraviolet and visible light.J Invest Dermato. 1962; 139: 435-443
- Chloasma, oral contraceptives, and plasma immunoreactive betamelanocyte-stimulating hormone.J Invest Dermatol. 1977; 68: 169-170
- A new formula for depigmenting human skin.Arch Dermatol. 1975; 111: 40-48
- Jaundice in pregnancy-1976.Am J Med. 1976; 61: 367-376
- Recurrent cholestatic jaundice of pregnancy with demonstrated estrogen sensitivity.Am J Med. 1967; 43: 795-803
- Idiopathic cholestasis of pregnancy, The response to challenge with the synthetic estrogen, ethinyl estradiol.N Engl J Med. 1967; 277: 1391-1395
- Alterations in sulfobromophthalein sodium removal mechanisms from blood during normal pregnancy.J Clin Invest. 1963; 42: 1431-1442
- Alterations in sulfobromophthalein sodium removal from blood in patients with pruritus of pregnancy.Gastroenterology. 1967; 53: 941-944
- Recurrent jaundice in pregnancy. II. A study of estrogens and their conjugation in late pregnancy.Am J Med. 1967; 42: 341-347
- Recurrent jaundice in pregnancy. III. Quantitative determination of urinary estriol conjugates, including studies in pruritus gravidarum.Am J Med. 1973; 54: 600-604
- Some aspects of the interaction between natural and synthetic female sex hormones and the liver.Am J Med. 1970; 49: 630-648
- Vascular changes of the skin in pregnancy.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1949; 88: 739-752
- Dermatoses associated with pregnancy.Cutis. 1967; 3: 120-126
- W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia1981: 764 Skin signs of systemic disease.
- Lange Medical Publications, Los Altos1982: 74-75 Current obstetric and gynecologic diagnosis and treatment.
- Peripheral circulation during normal pregnancy.Acta Obstet Gynaecol Scand. 1964; 43: 309-329
- Lange Medical Publications, Los Altos1982: 626 Current obstetric and gynecologic diagnosis and treatment.
- Blackwell Scientific Publications, London1979: 213 Textbook of dermatology.
- J.B. Lippincott Co., Philadelphia1977: 443 Burket's oral medicine.
- Medical Economics Co., New Jersey1982: 118-120 Physician's guide to the diseases of the oral cavity.
- J.B. Lippincott Co., Philadelphia1971: 79Color atlas of oral pathology. J.B. Lippincott Co., Philadelphia1971: 90 Color atlas of oral pathology.
- Striae gravidarum.Lancet. 1974; 1: 625
- The cause of striae distensae.Acta Derm Venereol [Suppl] (Stockh). 1979; 59: 161-169
- Factors associated with the occurrence of striac gravidarum.J Obstet Gynaecol Br Commonw. 1972; 79: 1113-1114
- Striae gravidarum-their relation to adrenal cortical hyperfunction.Lancet. 1959; 2: 436-437
- Palmar sweating in pregnancy.J Obstet Gynaecol Br Commonw. 1955; 62: 298-299
- Pregnancy and apocrine diseases, Hidradenitis, Fox-Fordyce disease.Arch Dermatol Syph. 1952; 65: 12-19
- The C. V. Mosby Co., St. Louis1977: 188 Management of the antenatal period, in Maternity care: The nurse and the family.
- J.B. Lippincott Co., Philadelphia1983: 8-41 Histology of the skin, in Histopathology of the Skin.
- The C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis1977: 131Maternal physiology, in Maternity care: The nurse and the family. The C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis1977: 137 Maternal physiology, in Maternity care: The nurse and the family.
- Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh1978: 70 Examination of the patient, in Gynaecology illustrated.
- External pneumatic intermittent compression for treatment of dependent pregnancy edema.Nurs Res. 1982; 31: 159-191
- The influence of lateral tilt on limb blood flow in advanced pregnancy.S Afr Med J. 1976; 50: 728-730
- Pressure bandaging of the lower extremity.JAMA. 1968; 206: 2715-2718
- Type of compression for reducing venous stasis.Arch Sing. 1975; 110: 171-175
- Elastic support of the lower limb, use and abuse.Hosp Med. 1971; 7: 36-43
- Derrnatoses of pregnancy.Int J Dermatol. 1981; 20: 223-241
- Safety of therapy for allergic symptoms during pregnancy.Ann Intern Med. 1978; 89: 234-237
- Effect of pregnancy on the human hair cycle.J Invest Dermatol. 1960; 35: 323-327
- The activity of hair follicles with reference to pregnancy.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1935; 60: 1092-1096
- Virilization in pregnancy associated with polycystic ovary disease.Obstet Gyneco. 1974; 144: 511-521
- Maternal virilization developing during a twin pregnancy, Demonstration of excess ovarian androgen production associ ated with theca lutein cysts.N Engl J Med. 1973; 288: 118-122
- Study of postpartum alopecia.Arch Dermato. 1963; 187: 609-611
- Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia1978: 73 Diagnosis of the mouth and jaws.
- Oral health during pregnancy, A neglected nursing area.Am J Mat Child Nurs. 1982; 7: 391-392
© 1984 American Academy of Dermatology, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc.